Nursing Interventions For The Prevention Of Foot Ulcers In Patients With Diabetes: An Integrative Review
Objective: to verify the available evidence on nurses’ interventions to prevent ulcers in patients with diabetic foot.
Method: integrative review held in the databases BDENF, LILACS, IBECS, CINAHL, PubMed and in the virtual library SCIELO without time restriction.
Results: the authors identified 15 articles that met the study criteria. Nursing interventions for the prevention of diabetic foot were performed both individually and on collective basis, or in combination. The vast majority of interventions were within institutional programs aimed at health promotion.
Conclusion: the evidence points to health education as a tool in the prevention of diabetic foot and consequent amputation of the lower extremities, promoting awareness for development and adoption of skills for self-care and improved lifestyle.
2. International Diabetes Federation. IDF Diabetes. 7ª ed. Belgium; 2015.
3. Donaghue KC, Wadwa RP, Dimeglio LA, Wong TY, Chiarelli F, Marcovecchio ML, et al. Microvascular and macrovascular complications in children and adolescents. Pediatr Diabetes. 2014; 15 (suppl 20): 257–269. DOI:10.1111/pedi.12180.
4. Begg L, McLaughlin P, Vicaretti M, Fletcher J, Burns J. Total contact cast wall load in patients with a plantar forefoot ulcer and diabetes. J Foot Ankle Res. 2016; (9): 1-9. DOI: 10.1186/s13047-015-0119-0.
5. Lazzarini PA, Hurn SE, Fernando ME, Jen SD, Kuys SS, Kamp MC, et al. Prevalence of foot disease and risk factors in general inpatient populations: a systematic review and metaanalysis. BMJ Open 2015;(5):1-15. DOI:10.1136/bmjopen-2015-008544.
6. Begun A, Morbach S, Rümenapf G, Icks A. Study of disease progression and relevant risk factors in diabetic foot patients using a multistate continuous-time markov chain model. Brock G, ed. PLoS ONE. 2016;11(1):e0147533. DOI:10.1371/journal.pone.0147533.
7. Fernando ME, Crowther RG, Cunningham M, Lazzarini PA, Sangla KS, Golledge J. Lower limb biomechanical characteristics of patients with neuropathic diabetic foot ulcers: the diabetes foot ulcer study protocol. BMC Endocrine Disorders. 2015;15(59):1-11. DOI: 10.1186/s12902-015-0057-7.
8. American diabetes association. Standards of medical care in diabetes. Diabetes care. 2013; 36(1):11-66. DOI: 10.2337/dc13-S011.
9. Brasil. Ministério da Saúde; Secretaria de Atenção à Saúde; Departamento de Atenção Básica. Manual do pé diabético: estratégias para o cuidado da pessoa com doença crônica. Brasília; 2016.
10. Souza MT, Silva MD, Carvalho R. Integrative review: what is it? How to do it? Einstein 2010 Jan-Mar;8(1):102-106.
11. Pereira MG, Galvão TF. Revisões sistemáticas da literatura: passos para sua elaboração. Epidemiol Serv Saude. 2014 Jan-Mar;23(1):183-184.
12. Silva CG, Crossetti MGO. Curativos para tratamento de feridas operatórias abdominais: uma revisão sistemática. Rev Gaúcha Enferm. 2012 Sep;33(3):182-189.
13. Moher, D, Liberati, A, Tetzlaff, J, Altman, DG, and PRISMA Group. Preferred reporting items for systematic reviews and meta-analyses: the PRISMA statement. PLoS Med. 2009; 8(3)336-341. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijsu.2010.02.007.
14. Ursi ES, Galvão CM. Perioperative prevention of skin injury: an integrative literature review. Rev Latino Am Enfermagem. 2006;14(1):124-31.
15. Melnyk BM, Fineout-Overholt E. Evidence-based practice in nursing and healthcare: A guide to best practice. Philadelphia: Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins; 2011.
16. Fujiwara Y, Kishida K, Terao M, Takahara M , Matsuhisa M, Funahashi T, et al. Beneficial effects of foot care nursing for people with diabetes mellitus: an uncontrolled before and after intervention study. J Adv Nurs 2011 Sep;67(9):1952-1962. DOI: 10.1111/j.1365-2648.2011.05640.x.
17. Neil JA, Knuckey CJ, Tanenberg RJ. Prevention of foot ulcers in patients with diabetes and end stage renal disease. Nephrology nursing journal. Nephrol Nurs J. 2003 Feb;30(1):39-43.
18. Lavery LA, Wunderlich RP, Tredwell JL. Disease management for the diabetic foot: Effectiveness of a diabetic foot prevention program to reduce amputations and hospitalizations. Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2005 Oct;70(1):31-37.
19. Martin TV, Rodrigues CDS, Cesarino CB. Conhecimento do paciente com diabetes mellitus sobre o cuidado com os pés. Rev. Enferm; UERJ. 2011, 19(4):621-625.
20. Andrade NHS, Mendes KDS, Faria HTG, Martins TA, Santos MA, Teixeira CRS, et al. Pacientes com diabetes mellitus: cuidados e prevenção do pé diabético em atenção primária à saúde. Rev. Enferm. UERJ, 2010, 18(4):616-621.
21. Chang CF, Chang CC, Hwang SL, Chen MY. Effects of buerger exercise combined health-promoting program on peripheral neurovasculopathy among community residents at high risk for diabetic foot ulceration. Worldviews Evid Based Nurs. 2015 Jun;12(3):145-153. DOI: 10.1111/wvn.12091.
22. Ren M, Yang C, Lin DZ, Xiao HS, Mai LF, Guo YC, et al. Effect of intensive nursing education on the prevention of diabetic foot ulceration among patients with high-risk diabetic foot: a follow-up analysis. Diabetes Technol Ther. 2014 Sep;16(9):576-581. DOI: 10.1089/dia.2014.0004.
23. MakkiAwouda FO, Elmukashfi TA, Hag Al-Tom SA. Effects of health education of diabetic patient's knowledge at diabetic health centers, Khartoum State, Sudan: 2007-2010. Glob J Health Sci. 2014 Feb 14;6(2):221-226. DOI: 10.5539/gjhs.v6n2p221.
24. Fan L, Sidani S, Cooper-Brathwaite A, Metcalfe K. Feasibility, Acceptability and Effects of a foot self-care educational intervention on minor foot problems in adult patients with diabetes at low risk for foot ulceration: a pilot study. Can J Diabetes. 2013 Jun; 37(3):195-201. DOI: 10.1016/j.jcjd.2013.03.020.
25. Reda A, Hurton S, Embil JM, Smallwood S, Thomson L, Zacharias J, et al. Effect of a preventive foot care program on lower extremity complications in diabetic patients with end-stage renal disease. Foot Ankle Surg. 2012 Dec;18(4):283-286. DOI: 10.1016/j.fas.2012.05.002.
26. Grady JL, Entin EB, Entin EE, Brunyé TT. Using message framing to achieve long-term behavioral changes in persons with diabetes. Applied Nursing Research. 2011 Feb; 24(1): 22–28.
27. Schmidt S, Mayer H, Panfil E.M. Diabetes foot self-care practices in the German population. J Clin Nurs. 2008 Nov;17(21):2920–2926. DOI: 10.1111/j.1365-2702.2008.02352.x.
28. Scollan-Koliopoulos M. Theory-guided intervention for preventing diabetes-related amputations in African Americans. J Vasc Nurs 2004 Dec;22(4):126 –133.
29. Corbett CF. A randomized pilot study of impriving foot care in home health patientes with diabetes. Diabetes educ. 2003 Mar-Apr; 29(2):273-282.
30. Couto TA, Santana VSS, Santos AR, Santos RMM. Educação em saúde, prevenção e cuidado ao pé diabético: um relato de experiência. Revista Baiana de Saúde Pública. 2014, 38(3):760-768.
Copyright policies & self-archiving
We are a RoMEO green journal.
Author's Pre-print: author can archive pre-print (ie pre-refereeing)
Author's Post-print: author can archive post-print (ie final draft post-refereeing)
Publisher's Version/PDF: author can archive publisher's version/PDF
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access and Benefits of Publishing Open Access).
This journal provides immediate open access to its content on the principle that making research freely available to the public supports a greater global exchange of knowledge.
Articles are published Under License of Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 License ©