Neoplastic wounds: controlling pain, exudate, odor and bleeding
Objective: To synthesize scientific literature published on the control of pain, exudation, odor and bleeding of neoplastic wounds.
Methods: This is an integrative review of the literature in the databases CINAHL, SciELO, MEDLINE and LILACS with articles that approached the theme. Twenty-two articles were included, of which 18 were written in the English language and three in the Spanish language, published between 2004 and 2014.
Results: From the articles studied, categories were constructed: Interventions for pain control; Interventions for the control of exudate; Interventions for the control of odor and Interventions for the control of bleeding.
Conclusion: Most of the studies were bibliographical research originating from opinions of authorities and / or reports of committees of experts in the area. Therefore, it is urgent to carry out randomized clinical trials.
Keywords: Cutaneous ulcer; Injuries and injuries; Nursing oncology; Nursing care.
2.Merz T, Klein C, Uebach B, Kern M, Ostgathe C, Bükki J. Fungating wounds: multidimentional challenge in palliative care. Breast Care. [Internet] 2011. Feb [cited 2016 Nov 10] 6(1):21-4. DOI 10.1159/000324923
3.Tilley C; Lipson J, Ramos M. Palliative wound care for malignant fungating wounds: holistic considerations at end-of-life. Nurs Clin North Am. [Internet]. 2016. Sep. [cited 2016 Nov 10] 51(3):513-31. DOI: 10.1016/j.cnur.2016.05.006.
4. Maida V, Alexander S, Case AA, Fakhraei P. Malignant wound management. Public Health Emerg. [Internet] 2016. Jun [cited 2016 Nov 10] 1:12. DOI: 10.21037/phe.2016.06.15
5. Beh SY, Leow LC. Fungating breast cancer and other malignant wounds: epidemiology, assessment and management. Expert Rev Qual Life Cancer Care. [Internet] 2016. Mar [cited 2016 Nov 10] 1(2):137-44. DOI.org/10.1080/23809000.2016.1162660
6.Ministério da Saúde. Brasil. Instituto Nacional do Câncer. Estimativas 2016: incidência de câncer no Brasil. Rio de Janeiro: INCA, 2016.
7.Alexander S. Malignant fungating wounds: managing pain, bleeding and pshychosocial issues. J Wound Care. [Internet]. 2009. Oct. [cited 2016 Nov 10]18(10): 418-25. DOI:10.12968/jowc.2009.18.10.44603
8.Benbow M. Fungating malignant wounds and their management. J Community Nurs. [Internet]. 2009. Aug [cited 2016 Nov 10]23(11):12-8. Available from: http://www.jcn.co.uk/journal/11-2009/wound-management/1321-fungating-malignant-wounds-and-their-management/
9.Maida V, Ennis M, Kuziemsky C, Corban J. Wounds and survival in cancer patients. Eur J Cancer. [Internet] 2009. Dec [cited 2016 Nov 10] 45(18):3237-44. DOI: 10.1016/j.ejca.2009.05.014
10.Grocott P, Gray D. The argument for palliative wound care. Wounds UK. [Internet]. 2010. Mar [cited 2016 Nov 10] 6(1):167-8. Available from: http://www.wounds-uk.com/journal-articles/the-argument-for-palliative-wound-care
11.Lo SF, Hayter M, Hu MY, Tai CY, Hsu MY, Li YF. Symptom burden and quality of life in patients with malignant fungating wounds. J Advan Nurs. [Internet] 2012. Jun [cited 2016 Nov 10] 68(6):1312-21. DOI: 10.1111/j.1365-2648.2011.05839.x
12.Alexander SJ. An intense and unforgettable experience: the lived experience of malignant wounds from the perspective of patients caregivers and nurses. Int Wound J. [Internet] 2010. Dec [cited 2016 Nov 10] 7(6):456-65. DOI:10.1111/j.1742-481X.2010.00715.x
13. Gethin G, Grocott P, Probst S, Clarke E. Current practice in the management of wound odour: na internacional survey. Int J Nurs Stud. [Internet] 2013. Jun [cited 2016 Nov 10] 51(6):865-74. DOI: 10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2013.10.013
14. Gibson S, Green J. Review of patients' experiences with fungating wounds and associated quality of life. J Wound Care. [Internet] 2013. May [cited 2016 Nov 10] 22(5):265-72. DOI:10.12968/jowc.2013.22.5.265
15. Probst S, Arber A, Faithfull S. Malignant fungating wounds: the meaning of living in an unbounded body. Eur J Oncol Nurs. [Internet] 2013. Feb [cited 2016 Nov 10] 17(1):38-45. DOI:
16.Mendes KDS, Silveira RCCP, Galvão CM. Revisão integrativa: método de pesquisa para a incorporação de evidências na saúde e na enfermagem. Texto Contexto Enferm. [Internet]. Out/Dez [cited 2016 Nov 10] 17(4):758-64. DOI.org/10.1590/S0104-07072008000400018
17. Fromantin I, Watson S, Baffie A, Rivat A, Falcou MC, Kriegel I, Ingenior YR. A prospective, descriptive cohort study of malignant wound characteristics and woound care strategies in patients with breast cancer. Ostomy Wound Mangement. [Internet] 2014. Jun [cited 2016 Nov 10] 60(6): 38-48. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24905356
18. Jarvis V. The range and role of palliative interventions for locally advanced breast cancer. Curr Opin Support Palliat Care. [Internet] 2014. Mar [cited 2016 Nov 10] 8(1):70-6. DOI: 10.1097/SPC.0000000000000029
19.Matute AEG, López AC, Vázquez MB, Ponce MC, León RJ, Sánchez IR. Cuidados del paciente com herida tumoral. Evidentia. [Internet]. 2013. Aug [cited 2016 Nov 10] 14(41):1-8. Available from: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/273766792_Cuidados_del_paciente_con_herida_tumoral
20.Lund-Nielsen B, Adamsen L, Kolmos HJ, Rorth M, Tolver A. The effect of honey-coated bandages compared with silver-coated bandages on treatment of malignant wounds - a randomized study. Wound Rep Reg. [Internet]. 2011. Nov [cited 2016 Nov 10]19 (6):664–670. DOI:10.1111/j.1524-475X.2011.00735.x
21.Seaman S. Management of malignant fungating wounds in advanced cancer. Semin Oncol Nurs [Internet]. 2006. Aug [cited 2016 Nov 10] 22(3):185-93. DOI:10.1016/J.SONCN.2006.04.006
22.Amy MD, Pauline Lesage MD. Palliative Management of Pressure Ulcers and Malignant Wounds in Patients with Advanced Illness. J Palliat Med. [Internet]. 2006. Apr [cited 2016 Nov 10] 9(2): 285-95. DOI:10.1089/JPM.2006.9.285
23.Meaume S, Fromantin I, Teot L. Neoplastic wounds and degenerescence. J Tissue Viability. [Internet]. 2013. Nov [cited 2016 Nov 10]22(4):122-130. DOI: 10.1016/j.jtv.2013.07.001
24.Vaquer LM. Manejo del las úlceras cutáneas de origen tumoral; cutánides. Rev Int Grupos Invest Oncolo. [Internet] 2012. Mar [cited 2016 Nov 10] 1(2):52-9. Available from: http://www.elsevier.es/es-revista-regio-revista-internacional-grupos-investigacion-339-articulo-manejo-las-ulceras-cutaneas-origen-X2253645012578954
25.Wiermann EG, Diz MP, Caponero R, Lages PSM, Araújo CZS, Bettega RTC et al. Consenso brasileiro sobre manejo da dor relacionada ao cancer. Rev Bras Oncol Clín. [Internet] 2015. Out/Dez [cited 2016 Nov 10] 10(38):132-43. Available from: http://sboc.org.br/revista-sboc/pdfs/38/artigo2.pdf
26.Sopata M, Ciupińska M, Glowacka A, Muszyński Z, Tomaszewska, E. Effect of Octenisept antiseptic on bioburden of neoplastic ulcers in patients with advanced cancer. J Wound Care. [Internet]. 2008. Sep [cited 2016 Nov 10]17(1): 24-7. DOI: 10.12968/jowc.2008.17.1.27975
27.Selby T. Managing exsudate in malignant fungating wounds and solving problems for patients. Nursing times. [Internet]. 2009. May [cited 2016 Nov 10]105(18):14-7. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19507614
28.Alexander S. Malignant fungating wounds: managing malodour and exudate. J Wound Care. [Internet]. 2009. Sep [cited 2016 Nov 10]18 (9): 374-82. DOI:10.12968/jowc.2009.18.9.44305
29. Grocott P, Gethin G, Probst S. Malignant wound management in advanced illness: new insights. Curr Opin Support Palliat Care. [Internet]. 2013. Mar [cited 2016 Nov 10]7(1):101-5. DOI:
30. Mali B, Jarm T, Snoj M, Miklavcic D. Antitumor effectiveness of eletrochemotherapy: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Eur J Surg Oncol. [Internet]. 2012. Jan [cited 2016 Nov 10]39(1):4-16. DOI:10.1016/j.ejso.2012.08.016
31. Ponte D.; Ferreira K; Costa N. O controlo do odor na ferida maligna. J Tissue Regeneration & Healing. [Internet]. 2012. [cited 2016 Nov 10]1:38-43. Available from: http://www.trh-journal.com/o-controlo-do-odor/
32.Draper C. The management of malodour and exudate in fungating wounds. British J Nurs. [Internet]. 2005. Jun (Tissue Viability Supplement). [cited 2016 Nov 10] 14(11):S4-12. DOI:
33. Adderley UJ, Smith R. Topical agentes and dressings for fungating wounds. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. [Internet]. 2007. Apr [cited 2016 Nov 10] 18(2):1-28. DOI:10.1002/14651858.CD003948.pub2
34. Santos CMC, Pimenta CAM, Nobre MR. A systematic review of topical treatments to control the odor of malignant fungating wounds. J Pain Symptom Manage. [Internet] 2010. Jun. [cited 2016 Nov 10] 39(6):1065-76. DOI:10.1016/j.jpainsymman.2009.11.319
35.Stringer J, Donald G, Knowles R, Warn P. The symptom management of fungating malignant wounds using a novel essential oil cream. Wounds UK. [Internet]. 2014. Sep [cited 2016 Nov 10]10(3):54-9. Available from: http://www.wounds-uk.com/journal-articles/the-symptom-management-of-fungating-malignant-wounds-using-a-novel-essential-oil-cream
36.Mercier D, Knevitt A. Using topical aromatherapy for the management of fungating wounds in a palliative care unit. J Wound Care. [Internet]. 2005. Nov [cited 2016 Nov 10]14(10):497-501. DOI:
37.Akbik D, Ghadiri M, Chzanowki W, Rohanizadeh R. Curcumin as a wounds healing agent. Life Sciences. [Internet]. 2014. Oct. [cited 2016 Nov 10]116(1):1-7. DOI:10.1016/j.lfs.2014.08.016
38.Maud M. Use of an ionic sheet hydrogel dressing on fungating wounds: two case studies. J Wound Care. [Internet]. 2008. Fev [cited 2016 Nov 10]17(2):65-8. DOI:10.12968/jowc.2008.17.2.28180
39.Grocott P, Browne N, Cowley S. Quality of life: assessing the impact and benefits of care to patients with fungating wounds. [Internet]. 2005. [cited 2016 Nov 10]17(1): 8-15. Available from: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/498843
40.Rang HP, Dale MM, Ritter JM, Flower RJ, Henderson G. Farmacologia. Rio de Janeiro: Elsevier, 2011.
41. Harris DG, Noble AIR. Management of terminal hemorrhage in patients with advanced cancer: a systematic literature review. J Pain Symptom Management. [Internet] 2009. Dec [cited 2016 Nov 10] 38(6): 913-7. DOI:10.1016/j.jpainsymman.2009.04.027
Copyright policies & self-archiving
We are a RoMEO green journal.
Author's Pre-print: author can archive pre-print (ie pre-refereeing)
Author's Post-print: author can archive post-print (ie final draft post-refereeing)
Publisher's Version/PDF: author can archive publisher's version/PDF
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access and Benefits of Publishing Open Access).
This journal provides immediate open access to its content on the principle that making research freely available to the public supports a greater global exchange of knowledge.
Articles are published Under License of Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 License ©