Complete Blood Count Interpretation: A Survey Of Health Professional In Brazil
Background: Complete blood count is one of the most ordered tests in clinical and surgical practice. However, it is important to know how to properly interpret it. The aim of this study was to measure the level of knowledge that health professionals have concerning the proper interpretation of the CBC test.
Methods and Findings: The article reports and analyzes the responses of questionnaires on the interpretation of CBC results applied in a sample of one hundred health professionals. A semi-structured tool was developed and composed of topics regarding sociodemographic data, a specific knowledge test on CBC, and a self-evaluation on the interpretation and the importance of the test. All participants scored less than 90% on the questionnaire, a result that was established as unsatisfactory regarding CBC interpretation. Only physicians and biomedical scientists showed suitable knowledge on the interpretation of hematological terms.
Conclusion: Despite the fact CBC is one of the main tests in clinical routine, our results showed deficits in knowledge on the theme by health professionals. Perhaps these results may help to reinforce the importance of multidisciplinarity and also highlight the deficiencies of training in the different professions studied.
2. Brazilian Society of Clinical Pathology. What is clinical pathology: laboratory medicine. Available at: http://www.sbpc.org.br/?C=11>. Accessed March 25, 2015.
3. Grotto HZW. Blood cell analysis: the importance for biopsy interpretation. Rev Bras Hematol Hemoter. 2009;31:178-182
4. Amaral COFD, Nascimento FM, Pereira FD, Parizi AGS, Straioto FG, Amaral MSP. Basis for interpretation of laboratory tests in the Dental Practice. UNOPAR Biological Sciences and Health Sciences 2014;16:229-237
5. Failace R, Fernandes FB, Failace R. Hemogram: interpretation manual. 5. ed. Porto Alegre: Artmed; 2009.
6. Caporal FA, Comar SR. Evaluation of RDW-CV, RDW-SD, and MATH-1SD for the detection of erythrocyte anisocytosis observed by optical microscopy Avaliação de RDW-CV, RDW-SD e MATH-1SD na detecção da anisocitose dos eritrócitos visualizados na microscopia óptica. J Bras Patol Med Lab. 2013;49:324-331
7. Dixon LR. The complete blood count: physiologic basis and clinical usage. J Perinat Neonatal Nurs. 1997;11:1-18
8. Abramson N, Melton B. Leukocytosis: basics of clinical assessment. Am Fam Physician. 2000;62:2053-2060
9. Diamond LW, Mishka VG, Seal AH, Nguyen DT. Multiparameter interpretative reporting in diagnostic laboratory hematology. Int J Biomed Comput. 1994;37:211-224
10. Birhaneselassie M, Birhanu A, Gebremedhin A, Tsegaye A. How useful are complete blood count and reticulocyte reports to clinicians in Addis Ababa hospitals, Ethiopia? BMC Hematology 2013;13:1-7
11. Sandhaus LM, Meyer P. How useful are CBC and reticulocyte reports to clinicians? Am J Clin Pathol. 2002;118:787-793
12. Paschoal AS, Mantovani MF, Méier MJ. The Perception of permanent, continuous, in service education for nurses in a school hospital. Rev Esc Enferm USP 2007;41:478-484
Copyright policies & self-archiving
We are a RoMEO green journal.
Author's Pre-print: author can archive pre-print (ie pre-refereeing)
Author's Post-print: author can archive post-print (ie final draft post-refereeing)
Publisher's Version/PDF: author can archive publisher's version/PDF
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access and Benefits of Publishing Open Access).
This journal provides immediate open access to its content on the principle that making research freely available to the public supports a greater global exchange of knowledge.
Articles are published Under License of Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 License ©